Friday, March 29, 2013

March Updates

I had so much school work over spring break that I didn't get any time to work on anything sadly.

I wanted to thank Mr. Brannon over at The Other Side for including me in his "The Best Blog You Are Not Reading" feature.

The weekend of the 24th the family and I went to St. Louis to hang out with some friend up there. We actually met them playing DDO, and they play a lot of tabletop rpgs of various types. One of the guys set up a one shot game for us to try out. The game was Deadlands, and it was honestly a lot of fun. I've only ever played 1 time where I've had a chance of my character actually dying, and that was with Eric over at the Chronicles of Ganth.

In the Deadlands game we were investigating a circus that kept disappearing and reappearing around the country, leaving a lot of unexplained disappearances in its wake. Eventually towards the end we found out a demon was behind it all. It was fun confronting it because during the start of the fight my wife's character almost had a heart attack from sheer fright, and when it attacked I was its unfortunate target and it almost crushed my characters skull in one attack. We barely survived (actually by using all of our chips to save ourselves in the game), but it was a great game to play, that and playing with the guys and gal up there is loads of fun.

As far as my game goes, I am still working on it. I think I've said it before, but either way; I do actually have enough of the basic setup done to where you can actually play the game. The couple of test runs I've gotten to do were fun at least. Some of it I'm not sure how or if to post on here as far as mechanics go, but we'll see.

The main two things I'm working on at the moment are the Insectoid races, which should be fun to work on; the other is the spell system. I have worked up a basic design for a free form system to go with the game system itself, and I think it looks OK so far, although I've not had anyone to help me test it yet. After talking to a few people whose opinion I trust, I think I have decided to move away from the free form system though. Which is fine as the people I normally play with wouldn't like it I don't think. So now I am on the look out for other concepts that fit the setting and design of the game so far.

Hopefully I'll have something worked up to add on here soon. I'm thinking of trying to do something so I'll have something to post more regularly; I'll have to see what I can come up with for that.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, rpg! I used to play White Wolf games ages ago! Spent sleepless nights in blissful fun. Great times.
    Nice to meet you, John and thank you for your visit to the Cave! Have a great day :)

    Father Dragon Writes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the visit to you also. I've never played any White Wolf games sadly. I will have to look and see what games they have now.

    ReplyDelete